Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Refillable

 A lot of people have told me they admire how happy I always am. I appreciate the compliment but that's not actually accurate. I'm not always happy just ask my family and closest friends. I might look like I have it all together but behind the scenes I have bad days and low moments. The last 6 months have been so full of disappointment, heartbreak, hardship, and plain old annoyances. Things ranging from abuse to my windshield wipers flying off in the middle of a rainstorm. (That's another story.) Big or small bad things have happened to me. I have had a few pity parties and some depressing days. However, my life is simply too precious and too short to spend it miserable. I can't change what's happened and I can't predict the future. All I can do is bounce back and choose to be happy.
  Today was one of those days that I had some obstacles and I was so tempted to climb in bed and never get out again. While I was busy pouting I decided to browse facebook and one of my friends posted this gem:

            
 

  It was just the nudge I needed to shake off my funk. My glass is refillable. It doesn't matter if today was a bad day, I can fill my glass back up. So with that I want to talk about some of the ways I fill my glass.

     1. Gratitude: This is a biggie! When I'm feeling low the easiest solution to feel better for me is to think about all of the things I do have and all of the things that have gone right. I have my testimony and no matter how bad things get no one can take that away from me but me. I have food to eat and to feed my kidlets. We have a roof over our heads with air conditioning and a heater that works. I have a car that's paid off to get me and the kids around. Sometimes I even recall a specific memory when things were going right and I was blessed.
     2. People: I am one of the luckiest girls alive because I have so many people to love who love me in return. The most important people that make me feel happy are my kids. I can be in the worst mood and then the baby (I say baby but he's 2) will say something funny while he's playing in the bathtub and I can't help but smile. I'll see the boys playing American Ninja Warrior and I have to play too. My daughter will bring me a sweet picture with a look of pure pride and love on her face and I just can't be grumpy.
     I can't tell you how many people in my life have filled my cup. I have had so many random acts of kindness performed for me it astounds me. Why me?
     Often when I'm feeling low I call up a friend or hang out with my family. I really am fortunate to have a surplus of quality people to choose from.
    3. Nature: There is a peace that comes with some fresh air and a beautiful view. I can't always up and leave so sometimes I just sit out on my porch and read or lay on my trampoline and gaze up at the sky. I often feel so small on this big planet when I'm outdoors. It puts things into perspective for me every time. I can't help but feel God's love when it's painted across the sky.
    4. Music: I am a huge music person! I rarely take a shower without something playing in the background to sing along to. Music has a way of making me feel understood. I love good lyrics and songs that touch your soul. When I'm blue a good song that allows me to process my sadness usually helps followed by a happy, "I got this" song.
   5. Laughter: It's no secret I'm a fan of dubsmash. It allows me to be an idiot all by myself and then laugh about it. Finding something to laugh about is always a good release. One of the best feelings in the world for me is laughing so hard I'm crying and my cheeks and abs hurt.
   6. Writing: Whether I'm writing in a journal, writing a letter, or blogging there is something very healing and therapeutic for me about writing.
   7. Me time: Sometimes the day is bad enough or my mood foul enough that I simply shouldn't be around people. Seriously. I just need a break to relax and regroup. My me time is when I indulge in my favorite guilty pleasures. A few of them are: a chick flick, a dirty diet coke, painting my toenails, reading a book, and pretending like I'm a famous country singer while taking a long, hot shower. Usually after a night of me time I'm recharged and ready to be Positive Polly the next day.
   8. Service: Getting outside of myself doesn't always come naturally to me but when I make the effort to help others I always feel better. It puts my problems into perspective and humbles me. I'm learning to be better at this one.
   9. Scriptures: I am always amazed at the treasures I find in the scriptures. The things that stick out to me are always exactly what I need. There is just a peace that comes from reading the scriptures that is almost tangible. My heart many times has been soothed by words of the prophets in the scriptures.
   10. Prayer: This is usually my first go to. The minute I feel like I'm drowning I go find a place to hide from my kids (good luck) and lay it out there for Heavenly Father. It always amazes me how much I need His help with things. I think I know a thing or two about life and then I'm back on my knees learning something new. My relationship with Heavenly Father has been vital to my happiness. I simply could not maintain the level of happiness I have if I didn't have this relationship with Him developed. He comforts me and soothes me in only a way He can. I act like a child and complain and He consoles me and softens my heart to all of the blessings that are my reality.

     When others say I am happy all of the time the truth is I'm not. I am happy most of the time. I do my best to not dwell in negativity. I do one of those ten things listed above and sometimes a few of them. I fill my glass back up and move on. What else is there to do? I mean really, it won't do me any good to be bitter or cynical. Bad days are going to happen my entire life. The question is how do I want to live my life? I choose happiness. What about you?
     

  

No comments:

Post a Comment